How many acres are contained in the following descriptions?
1. E 1/2 of NE1/4 of SW1/4 of NW1/4 of Section 9, T2N R4E IM.
Answer: 5 acres
2. SW1/4 of SE1/4 of NE1/4 and S1/2 of SW1/4 of NE1/4 of Section 9, T2N R4E IM.
Answer: 10+20=30 acres.
The “and” in the description means that the description is describing 2 separate parcels of land. The “and” in mathematical terms is a plus, +. Example: 2 and 2 is 4. 2+2=4.
3. Write the Legal description of the shaded area below of Section 8, T2N R4E IM.
Ques7_c.GIF (1121 bytes)
Answer: The E1/2 of the NE1/4 of the SW1/4 of Section 8, T2N R4E IM.
4. How many miles north of the base line is the south boundary of Section 15, T12N, R5E IM?
Answer: 69 miles
5. How many miles east is the west boundary of Section 15, T12N, R5E IM?
Answer: 27 miles
6. How many acres are in the following legal description?
Beginning at the SW corner of section 16. then N 45º E to the NE corner of Section 10, then S 2 miles, then S 45º W to the SW corner of Section 22, then N 45º W to the point of beginning.
Answer: 1920 acres.
You MUST draw this out on paper.
When you do you will end up with the drawing below.
The first line splits sections 16 and 10 in half so you end up with a total of one section or 640 acres.
The next line you draw 2 miles south encompasses all of section 15 for 640 acres.
The last two lines split sections 22 and 21 in half and again you end up with one section or 640 acres.