Information for Obtaining a License 

Background Check Requirement: Anyone applying for issuance of a new license or re-issuance of a previously held license must undergo a criminal history background check through the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).  See OREC forms for more details.

License Types and Requirements

License Type

Provisional Sales Associate: A provisional sales associate (PSA) is an entry level licensee under the supervision of a real estate broker. A PSA cannot enter into contractual agreements with a customer or client in his or her own name but must enter into such agreement for and in the name of their sponsoring broker.

To apply for a PSA license, a person must be of good moral character, eighteen (18) years of age, and submit evidence to the Commission of successful completion of a ninety (90) clock hour basic real estate course that is approved by the Commission, or submit proof of completion of six (6) college credit hours in a real estate discipline that is acceptable by the Commission.

All education must have been completed within the previous 36 months prior to application.

Upon passing the state examination and obtaining a Provisional Sales Associate or (PSA) license from the Commission, a PSA must complete a Commission approved post license course consisting of forty-five (45) clock hours within the first year of obtaining a license; moreover, the Commission has identified core subject matter that must be completed to meet this requirement.

Other education content of a specialized nature such as property management or commercial real estate etc…, that consists of at least forty-five (45) clock hours may meet this requirement as well; however, it is advisable to contact the Commission prior to enrolling in such a class to ensure it will qualify. 

Once a PSA has provided the Commission with evidence of completion of a post-licensing course and has submitted the appropriate form with fees at the end of their one-year license term their license will be issued as a Sales Associate (SA).

NOTE: The month that a license is issued in counts toward the one-year license term regardless of whether it is issued on the first day of the month or the last.

Application Process

Upon successful completion of the examination and the background check receiving final approval, an applicant wishing to have an active license will be required to have a broker sign a form verifying sponsorship, either a “Request for Issuance of a Provisional Sales Associate or Sales Associate License” form for either active or inactive status.  If the applicant chooses to have the license issued on inactive status, an inactive pocket card will be mailed to the mailing address provided by the applicant.

When you submit an application to the Commission you are required to use your full legal name.  Your license will be issued in your legal name; however, if you wish to do business in a nickname or alias you may do so only if it is registered with the Commission.  On the application you must list all nicknames or alias names that you have used or plan to use.  For example, if your name is Robert and you go by Bob, you must list Robert as your legal name and Bob as a nickname.  If any part of the application is incomplete, the application cannot be approved.  All fees paid to the Commission are non-refundable.

All Applications for Licensure Must Include the Following Information

Application for License – Anyone seeking a real estate license shall submit an application for a license on the “Application for a PSA or SA Real Estate License” form (Click here for the “Application for a Broker (BA, BB, BM, or BP) real estate license“).  The forms shall contain the applicant’s legal name (first, middle, and last), Social Security Number (Pursuant to Title 56, Oklahoma Statutes, Section 240.21A), and a date of birth.  All requested information on the application must be completed before an applicant will receive approval.

Background Check Requirement – Anyone applying for the issuance of a new license or re-issuance of a previously held license must complete the appropriate application first and then schedule an appointment to provide fingerprints through the vendor (IdentoGO) with the required fee of $60.00.  The fingerprints will transmit electronically to the Commission, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigations (OSBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI).  Upon review by both agencies the Commission will receive a background report. 

Proof of Citizenship – Federal law requires that applicants provide proof of citizenship or qualified alien status to receive a license – this means
providing proof of documentation such as a legible copy of a birth certificate, valid passport, permanent resident card (Green Card), unexpired temporary foreign passport, etc.

Evidence of Citizenship or Qualified Alien Status Form and  Affidavit Verifying Lawful Presence– Applicants must submit a notarized “Affidavit Verifying Lawful Presence in the United States” form, as required per Oklahoma Statute, 56, Supplement 2007, subsection 71. Applicants must also provide the “Proof of Citizenship Form” with documentation.  Both forms (with documentation) are required to meet Oklahoma State Law and Federal regulations.

Certificate of Successful Completion – The pre-license school must provide applicants with evidence showing their successful completion of the appropriate course content. An applicant may start the education portion at any time but the Commission must receive evidence of successful course completion before receiving eligibility to take the examination.  The Director of the real estate education school can provide a course completion certificate to show that an applicant has met all course requirements.

Picture – Applicants must provide a passport-type picture in the dimensions indicated on the application.  The picture must not be older than twelve (12) months from the date the application is delivered to the OREC.

Sales Associate: A Sales Associate (SA) license is the same as a Provisional Sales Associate (PSA) license except a Sales Associate has a twenty-one (21) clock hour continuing education requirement each active license term, and the Sales Associate license is a three (3) year renewable license.

In order to obtain a SA license, a person must be of good moral character, eighteen (18) years of age, completed one year of licensure as a PSA or its equivalent, as determined by the Commission, and submit evidence to the Commission of their successful completion of a ninety (90) clock hour course in basic real estate instruction that is approved by the Commission.


Broker: A broker license allows a person to do business as a firm and to sponsor licensed associates (i.e. Provisional Sales Associates, Sales Associates or Broker Associates).  Brokers are responsible for activities of their associates.

A broker applicant is required to be of good moral character, have two (2) years of active experience or its equivalent as a PSA or SA within the past five (5) years, and submit evidence of successful completion of ninety (90) clock hours of advanced real estate instruction in a course that is approved by the Commission.

Examination Information:

Applicants are advised to review the “Applicant Information Bulletin” on the Oklahoma Real Estate Commission’s website under “Information to Obtain a License” for additional information on the examination.

PSI Services, LLC is the examination provider for the Oklahoma Real Estate Commission.

If you wish to schedule to take the examination at a location outside of Oklahoma, you must call PSI at 1-800-733-9267.  Examinations are delivered via computer at the following Oklahoma PSI examination centers listed below:

Oklahoma City                                                                              McAlester
3800 N Classen Blvd, Suite C-20                                                    21 East Carl Albert Parkway

Oklahoma City                                                                              Woodward
2401 NW 23rd Street – Suite 60 (Entrance D)                                  1915 Oklahoma Ave – Suite 3

2816 East 51st Street – Suite 101

Nonresident applicants may take the required examination at the locations shown above or any other PSI location across the United States.

Examination fees must be paid directly to PSI Services, LLC through an on-line registration service, or by mailing the required fee directly to PSI.

  •     Sales Person / Sales Instructor / Sales Person (State Only) $60.00
  •     Broker / Broker Instructor / Broker (State Only) $75.00

NOTE: Registration fees are not refundable and expire after one (1) year.

The Real Estate Commission must receive the following completed documents before an applicant can register for an examination:

After the Commission receives the documents, the Commission will check the application for completeness. Once the application meets approval, the applicant and PSI will receive notice of the approval, and the applicant may schedule their exam at the location of their choice.

Applicants May Schedule for an Examination Using One of the Following Methods:

Applicants must schedule to take their examination through PSI @

Via the Internet 24 hours a day at
Using a touch-tone phone, call PSI 24 hours a day at (800) 733-9267
With a PSI registrar at (800) 733-9267, available Monday through Friday, between 6:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. and Saturday, between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Central time.

Applicants will receive results immediately after the examination.

If an applicant fails the examination, they will be given the option to review their incorrect questions at the end of their examination; however, THIS WILL BE THEIR ONLY OPPORTUNITY FOR REVIEW.

If an applicant does not successfully pass the examination they must contact PSI to reschedule.

Applicants are advised that in Oklahoma real estate licensees do not practice under the “Common Law of Agency” but rather, “Broker Relationships,” which is defined in the Oklahoma Real Estate License Code and Rules. The Common Law of Agency is practiced in most other licensing jurisdictions; therefore, because the State of Oklahoma is utilizing a national examination vendor, the national portion of the examination will contain questions regarding the Common Law of Agency concepts as they may deal with nonresidents licensees and/or consumers.

NOTE: In Oklahoma, the Common Law of Agency is still practiced between the real estate broker and the broker’s associates; however, there is no agency relationship that can exist between the broker/associate and the consumer. Applicants can locate references to the common law principles of agency in real estate textbooks obtainable from any local library.

Grade Validity – A passing examination score is valid for one (1) year; however, an applicant may request in writing for an extension of the validity period, which may be granted at the discretion of the Commission.

Obtaining a License After Passing the Examination

No one shall perform licensed real estate activities until their license has been issued!

A license can be issued in two ways: 1) Under a sponsoring broker; or 2) On an “inactive status” until a sponsoring broker is located.

If a decision is made to have an original license issued on “Inactive Status,” the following rules apply:

A pocket card will be sent to the licensee’s residence address of record; however, in order to continue on “inactive status,”  the licensee must pay all license renewal fees, and cannot perform any licensed activities while the license is on “inactive status.”  If the licensee wants to activate a license that was renewed inactive, they will have to meet all continuing education requirements prior to license activation.

If the licensee decides to have a license issued on “Active Status” the wall license and pocket card will be mailed to the sponsoring broker’s office.

Broker – Upon successful completion of the examination and the applications receiving final approval, the applicant will be required to select the broker see orec Forms & license type. These options are explained in the Broker Licensing Options on the OREC website.  Each license type requires different forms; however, the license and the education and recovery fund fee is the same.

Resident Licensee is a person who is licensed in the state of Oklahoma and operates from a place of business within the State of Oklahoma.

Nonresident Licensee is someone who maintains a place of business in another state but periodically comes into this state to operate and perform real estate activities.

An individual can reside in the State of Oklahoma but if their business address is in another state they are a nonresident licensee.

Nonresident Agreements

A nonresident active licensee may apply for a license but they must have the following:

1) a minimum of two (2) years applicable active experience out of the previous five (5) years as a sales associate or broker,

2) provides a certification of licensure verifying and indicating that the license is in good standing in their state or jurisdiction of licensure,

3) complete at least one (1) hour each in three (3) Oklahoma state specific courses: Contract and Forms (CON), Code and Rules (CAR) and Broker Relationship Act (BRA)

4) completes all appropriate forms and pays all required fees, which includes approval on the background check and

5) successfully pass the required examination.

To find a list of states or jurisdictions that have a nonresident agreement with the State of Oklahoma go to and click on the link named “Information to Obtain a License.” There you will find a tab on the right side of that page entitled “Nonresident Agreements.” This form contains additional information as to the examination requirements to obtain a non resident license. Applicants can contact the OREC’s Education Department for specific requirements because most agreements differ in one way or another.

Co-brokerage Arrangements

Oklahoma allows brokers of this state to participate in a cooperative brokerage arrangement with a broker of another jurisdiction, provided that each broker conducts real estate activities only in the state or jurisdiction in which they are licensed.

Please feel free to contact the Oklahoma Real Estate Commission Education and Licensing Department at 405-521-3387 or toll free at 1-866-521-3389.

(content credit OREC)

affordable courses Basic 2 Post License become a real estate agent being your own boss broker course experienced instructors full support real estate training great income growth potentioal highest quality online courses high school students home buyers Home maintenance home sellers In-House Class In person class licensing coures make your own hours NAR NAR Highlights Oklahoma City Real estate school oklahoma real estate broker license Oklahoma Real Estate Commission Oklahoma Real Estate License oklahoma real estate school Post License practicing and experienced real estate industry professionals Pre-License Course premier online real estate educators professional support questions about real estate license real estate real estate agent real estate agents Real estate career Real estate Class real estate education real estate exam Real estate license real estate licensed Real Estate School real estate school near me Realtors Trivia work from home